• Access your auto policy documents
Customer Help & Support
Why do I need travel insurance?
Government health insurance plans may not cover all emergency medical expenses once you leave your province/territory of residence and typically cover only a limited portion once you leave the country. In fact, the Canadian Government (Consular Services, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada) urges all Canadians to purchase supplemental health insurance when leaving the country. They say:
"Do not rely on your provincial health plan to cover costs if you get sick or are injured while abroad. Out-of-country healthcare can be costly, and your health plan will cover only part of the bill at best.”
Plus, government health insurance plans don't guarantee coverage for special care (air ambulance or emergency dental services, for instance).
MEDOC provides you with comprehensive medical and non-medical coverage:
- Annual Multi-trip coverage
- $5 million medical emergency coverage
- Non-medical benefits such as Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption and Trip Delay
- Up-front payment of eligible medical expenses whenever possible
- 24-hour, emergency medical assistance—one toll-free phone call puts you in touch with a professional who will refer you to a local doctor or facility in order for you to receive the care you need
Did that answer your question?