• Access your auto policy documents
Customer Help & Support
What is meant by the term "dwelling"?
The term “dwelling” within the context of an insurance policy refers to a house, apartment, or other residence. In insurance terms, a dwelling also may include:
- Attached structures, like a carport or garage
- Permanently installed outdoor equipment, like a pool and the pool equipment attached to it
- Building materials on or adjacent to your property
- Plants, trees and shrubs (note though, that coverage is a very small amount per item, are only for certain specific perils, none of which are weather related)
The term “unit” is generally used to refer to a condominium.
Did that answer your question?