Sign In

Customer Help & Support

Whose insurance covers me when I drive a car owned by someone else?

If you are driving a vehicle owned by someone else, their insurance covers you while you are driving their vehicle, as long as you:

  • Are legally entitled to drive the vehicle and are using it with their permission
  • Haven't committed an offence under Canada's Criminal Code while operating their vehicle
  • Don't use their vehicle for one of the uses prohibited in their policy (for example: racing)

If you have an accident while driving a vehicle owned by someone else, you'll need to present their proof of insurance. It's a good idea to make sure you have this available to you before borrowing a vehicle. Accordingly, if you have an accident while driving their vehicle, it will affect their policy.

It is important to keep in mind that this applies only for infrequent use. If you are borrowing a vehicle owned by someone else on a regular basis, you should be listed as an occasional driver on their policy.

Did that answer your question?

You can also contact our support team at 1.844.568.2049

More FAQs

By accessing and browsing this Website, visitors accept, without limitation or qualification, the terms and conditions (*Terms of use).